Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Overcoming Writer's Block

I never thought in a million years I would get writer's block, but I did. And, it has lasted for over four years. Can you believe it?

My debut novel "Darling Nikki" hit bookshelves a few months back, but it was written back in 2006. Since then, I have started numerous manuscripts and put several hours and weeks into developing characters for stories that I have not been inspired enough to finish. It sucks the life out of me to do anything I'm not passionate about, and there had not been a story that I had been passionate about as "Darling Nikki."

Then I came across a quote on Twitter that changed everything.


I have started so many stories that have not been finished nor did I have the desire to finish them. However, after reading this quote, I became inspired to do whatever it took to finish all books I have started in the past. But even in trying to do that, there still seemed to be a block, and I couldn't quite figure out why.

So I did some much needed soul searching and found that I was the block. All of this time I had been hindering myself from being inspired and completing these stories for two reasons:

1.  I wanted all of my work to be 100% fiction and nothing to come from my life or anyone that I knew. This blocked the natural flow of ideas, because I was too busy trying to make sure everything came from my imagination, instead of just writing what came natural to me.

2.  If I didn't think the book was good enough to be turned into a movie, I would stop working on it.

Never again.

I am a writer. This is something I believe I was born to do. And if I really believe that, I'm not going to let anything stop me from writing. Not even myself. I must allow my mind and body to be a vessel that puts forth stories that are supposed to be told regardless of whether they are loosely based on something I've been through or not. I am also going to stop comparing my stories to others I have written and trust that no matter what comes out of me, it will be good, because it came from me. ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment